Friday, February 27, 2009

MFA Photographic Figures exhibit

The source, the human form, is immediately recognizable in the dramatic black and white photographs (most were b&w anyway). The exhibition is first divided into body parts, then progressively into the full body and face, with the most similar forms and themes grouped together. It was an appropriate way to arrange the broad array of photos, and it made it mentally easier to work your way through the gallery. Though not necessarily always my favorite photos out of the exhibition, I found the experimental photos most interesting (experimental as in experimental in the developing and printing process), and I would've liked for more detailed information on how the artist achieved the effect than what the placard gave. Experimental photos aside, I recall liking some of the smaller work especially - some by a group of three artists, two male and one female, that lived together on a beach - particularly the photo of the three of them together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home